In Japan, a jury system was introduced from 2009. Although there is a large difference between knowledge of the law and experiences of the professional judges and the jurors, the two sides are supposed to bridge that gap in court deliberations in order to discuss on an equal footing.
This research project investigates this challenge from the perspectives of law, language, psychology, and engineering fields. It has become clear that sharing the information, ideas and theoretical frameworks which emerge through their discussion as the basis for judgement in a visible manner is critically important. Following on from communication research and survey results, we propose that a set of methods of deliberation which include paper tags, charts, live recording and using appropriate linguistic expressions to indicate four different phases of discussion.
Research on Juror deliberation
- Satoshi Mishima (ed.) / Satoshi Mishima, Katsuhiko Moriya, Takeshi Honjyo, Mitsutaro Takagi, Ikuyo Morimoto, Miki Saijo, Hiroko Otsuka, Kayoko Nohara, Aoi Ogai, Akio Ishizuka. Saibanin Saiban no Hyogi Design. Shimin no Chi ga ikiru Saiban wo Mezashite. Saibanin Saiban no Hyogi Design. Nihon Hyoron Sha. Sep. 2015.
- (JP) 野原 佳代子「裁判員裁判評議における素朴交渉発生の可能性と問題点－模擬評議「及川事件」の発話交換に発現する裁判官と裁判員の枠組みのずれ」『法と心理』8-1, 11. 2009.
- (JP) 大塚 裕子, 野原 佳代子（ダブル主著者） 「裁判員裁判における評議の進め方（中）議論はどのように整理するのか―困ったときの対処法」『判例時報』2052, 2009.
- (JP) 野原 佳代子, 森本 郁代, 三島 聡, 竹内 和弘「裁判員制度評議における評議デザイン論の展開③ 論告分析型評議の実現に向けて―具体的手法と評議設計における課題・展望」『法律時報』pp.84-95, 81-10, 9. 2009.
- Ikuyo Morimoto, Kayoko Nohara, Miki Saijo, Kotaro Takagi, Hiroko Otsuka, Kana Suzuki, Manabu Okumura “How Do Ordinary Japanese Reach Consensus in Group Discussion Making? Identifying and Analysing ‘Naive Negotiation’”, Group Decision and Negotiation, vol. 15, pp. 157-169, 2006.